In 2013, Ocean Energy Europe published its Industry Vision Paper, which called for the creation of a stakeholder lead forum "which would steer progress at EU level and deliver a united strategy" for ocean energy.
In 2014, the European Commission created the Ocean Energy Forum.
The main output of the Forum, the Strategic Roadmap, published at Ocean Energy Europe Conference & Exhibition in Brussels in November 2016, proposed 6 actions to facilitate the emergence of a market for ocean energy in Europe. These actions are:
- To create an EU-wide phase-gate approach for technology development
- Identify the most suitable sites for early deployments and support pre-commercial farms there
- Create a packaged approach for financing farms
- Create an EU insurance fund to underwrite project risks
- Increase collaboration to reduce costs and plan deployments
- Create an integrated consenting programme
Ocean Energy Europe is working with the EU and Member State governments to implement these actions, thereby creating a market for ocean energy in Europe, and opening up export markets around the world.
For further information, visit the Ocean Energy Forum section of the European Commission's website.